As the number of COVID-19 cases recorded on the Central Coast during the current outbreak tops 500, there is some good news this week, with Pfizer allocations to the region set to increase.
Of the 501 cases recorded by September 23, 220 were listed as no longer active, meaning there are currently 281 active cases in the region.
Parliamentary Secretary for the Central Coast, Adam Crouch, advised that the weekly allocation of Pfizer doses for Gosford and Wyong Hospitals has been increased from 4,800 to 6,800, although your best bet is still to book a vaccination through a GP.
Following a meeting on September 17 with all Coast MPs, Central Coast Local Health representatives and Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant, Crouch said he had been told that the Federal Government allocates at least 60 per cent of all Pfizer doses to GPs.
“This means that it is much easier to receive a Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine from a GP than it is to receive one at Gosford and Wyong Hospitals,” Crouch said.
While Gosford and Wyong Hospitals have the capacity to administer 12,000 Pfizer doses per week, Crouch said Chant had advised the Federal Government’s supply of Pfizer will remain “static” until October at the earliest.
“In spite of the supply challenges, our community is making fantastic progress in our vaccination rates,” he said.
It seems little else of note came out of the September 17 meeting.
Member for The Entrance, David Mehan, said Chant acknowledged concerns about lack of access to vaccines for returning students and teachers and the need to support those who can’t work from home, but said Central Coast Local Health District (CCLHD) does not support Labor’s call for a stand-alone vaccination hub in the region due to a lack of supply from the Federal Government.
Shadow Minister for the Central Coast, David Harris, said the MPs had secured a commitment to outreach services in partnership with organisations such as Coast Shelter and Yerin Aboriginal Health Service to improve vaccination access for the disadvantaged.
“We acknowledged Dr Chant’s incredibly difficult job throughout this whole situation and thanked Health for their diligent work to support our community,” Harris said.
Meanwhile, CCLHD has announced it will no longer identify exposure sites which are considered low-risk but will focus its contact tracing on confirmed COVID cases in households, workplaces, high risk facilities and any location where transmission has been identified or is considered likely to have occurred.
Over the past week, 189 additional cases were confirmed in the region.
On September 17, 27 new cases were announced, along with the region’s second death during the current outbreak.
A woman in her 20s with underlying health conditions died at Gosford Hospital.
Of the 27 cases, 12 were in isolation during their infectious period.
On September 18, 29 more cases were announced; six of whom were in isolation whilst infectious.
September 19 saw the confirmation of another 20 cases, five of whom were in isolation during their infectious period, and on September 20, 19 more cases were confirmed, seven of whom were in isolation whilst infectious.
On September 21, 27 more residents tested positive, 11 of whom were in isolation whilst infectious, and 35 more cases were confirmed on September 22; 11 of whom were in isolation whilst infectious.
On September 23, 32 more cases were confirmed, five of whom were in isolation whilst infectious.