Work on Langford Dve roundabout to start in October

Kariong Intersection

Work to fix the intersection of Langford Dve and Woy Woy Rd in Kariong will begin before the end of the year.
Federal Member for Robertson, Ms Lucy Wicks, joined with Central Coast Council on Monday September 18 to make the announcement that funding of $1.78 million had been approved to allow Council to upgrade this notorious intersection.
“The Coalition Government has always said we will deliver on this commitment to the Kariong community,” Ms Wicks said.
“After decades of frustration, today’s a fantastic outcome for the 3,000 local residents who signed our petition to address this intersection, that’s so close to a community centre, a childcare centre, a school, tennis courts, homes and small businesses.
“Residents and businesses in Kariong have made their views clear at many community listening posts, forums and on my facebook page about the urgent need for a solution.
“I look forward to seeing the work completed as soon as possible,” Ms Wicks said.
Council Group Leader of Assets, Infrastructure and Business, Mr Mike Dowling, said all levels of government and the local community have worked together to find a viable solution to create a safer, more accessible intersection at this location.
“We know this upgrade has been a long time coming, but it was important to get the design right so it can deliver a safer and more accessible intersection for the community,” Mr Dowling said.
“We have gone through a few different designs and believe we have found the right solution to fix this intersection, and we are pleased to have this project funded by the Federal Government,” he said.
Works will include construction of a single-lane roundabout, with realignment of nearby Dandaloo St to create a more cohesive access point for all incoming traffic.
Nearby pedestrian footpaths will also be upgraded to direct pedestrian traffic to refuge crossing points which are part of the roundabout design, improving public safety and access across busy Woy Woy Rd.
Council will be relocating major underground utilities in the area during October and November 2017, to allow for upgrade works to start in January 2018.

Source:
Media release, Sep 15
Tim Sowden, Office of Lucy Wicks MP
Media release, Sep 18
Mike Dowling, Central Coast Council

Similar stories