Mariners men stumble in season opener

Attacking player Dylan Wenzel-Halls. Photo: CCM Media

In a dramatic kickoff to the 2023-24 Isuzu UTE men’s A-League season on October 20, the Central Coast Mariners faced a tough defeat on Adelaide United’s turf, losing 3-0 at Coopers Stadium.

Initially, the Mariners displayed promising form during the opening 20 minutes of the game.

They had a lively start with standout moments such as Will Wilson’s close call just eight minutes in.

Angel Torres orchestrated a beautiful pass, leading to a close-range attempt by Wilson, brilliantly thwarted by Adelaide’s Joe Gauci.

Adelaide United had their own early opportunities, with Mariners captain Danny Vukovic making crucial saves to keep his team in the game.

Vukovic denied Zach Clough and made a spectacular dive to his right to block an Ibusuki header from a corner.

However, the Mariners’ fortunes took a turn for the worse when Brian Kaltak and Alou Kuol suffered knee injuries, forcing them to be substituted in the first half.

This disruption in their line-up allowed Adelaide to capitalise on their advantage, ultimately securing a commanding lead that the Mariners couldn’t overcome.

Adelaide opened the scoring in the 38th minute when Ibusuki’s pass found Ben Halloran inside the penalty area.

Halloran’s shot ricocheted off the underside of the crossbar, bouncing down and over the goal line, giving Adelaide a 1-0 lead at half-time.

The Mariners continued to fight in the second half, with Dylan Wenzel-Halls making some notable attempts to equalise.

However, a moment of misfortune struck as Wenzel-Halls conceded a penalty by fouling Ryan Kitto in the box.

Zach Clough made no mistake from the spot, extending Adelaide’s lead to 2-0 in the 64th minute.

The match took a dramatic turn when Jacob Farrell received his second yellow card, resulting in a red card and his ejection from the game in the 79th minute.

Despite his strong performance prior to the send-off, Farrell’s absence weakened the Mariners defence.

Adelaide capitalised on the advantage with a free-kick opportunity.

Bernadro’s delivery found Nick Ansell unmarked inside the penalty area, and he headed the ball into the net, making it 3-0 in the 80th minute.

Despite the challenging circumstances, Captain Vukovic continued to make spectacular saves in the final minutes, preventing Adelaide from extending their lead.

The game concluded with a 3-0 victory for Adelaide United.

The Central Coast Mariners now set their sights on their upcoming AFC Cup match against Bali United on Thursday night, October 26.

They will then face Macarthur at home on Sunday afternoon, October 29, aiming to bounce back from this season opener setback.

CCN Football