Barbecue fire a timely reminder

A barbecue fire at Berkeley Vale on Thursday, October 28 was a timely reminder to check that gas cylinders are in date and outdoor cooking appliances are safe.

Firefighters from Rural Fire Brigades at Tuggerah and Berkeley Vale, as well as Fire and Rescue Wyong, were quickly on the scene to extinguish the fire, which had spread to an awning on the house.

Before lighting up the barbie, check that the gas valve had been turned off over winter and there hadn’t been any escape of gas.

You can check for gas leaks by spraying soapy water on connections and bubbles will form if gas is escaping. Call a plumber to have a look at it.

Check for rust or damage, that connections are clean and fitting snugly and that it is in date.

Fire and Rescue NSW recommends the use of gas cylinder exchange programs, rather than refilling gas cylinders.

In the unlikely event that a fire did break out while using a barbecue, make sure you have a nearby hose at the ready.

Sue Murray