House fire believed to be sparked by a cigarette

The charred home

A discarded cigarette is believed to have sparked a housefire at Charmhaven.

More than 20 firefighters responded to numerous Triple Zero calls from the community, reporting large plumes of smoke issuing from a property on Narara Ave just before 10pm on Tuesday, February 2.

Firefighters from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and the Rural Fire Service battled the blaze for more than an hour and prevented it from spreading to nearby homes.

NSW Ambulance were in attendance, however no injuries were reported.

Initial investigations suggest that the fire was caused due to a discarded cigarette.

FRNSW Acting Superintendent, Robert Jansen, said incorrectly disposing of cigarettes could lead to serious consequences.

“It is important to ensure you have extinguished and safely disposed of a cigarette before leaving the room or going to bed,” he said.

“There is also a high fire risk when incorrectly disposing of cigarettes while driving, which can lead to devastating grass or bushfires.”

Dilon Luke