Fire guts Woy Woy home

It took firefighters just under an hour to contain a housefire at Woy Woy on January 18

A Woy Woy house was left in flames last week after an explosion from its double garage caused substantial damage to the property.

The residence on Fairview St caught alight on January 18 at approximately 2.30pm with the attached cottage receiving fire, smoke, heat and water damage.

A spokesperson for Fire and Rescue NSW said crews arrived on scene after receiving the call at 2.35pm.

“Five crews were on scene – two from Umina, two from Kariong and one from Berkeley Vale – and found a number of cylinders with gas inside the garage and then cooled them down,” the spokesperson said.

“There was asbestos found in the garage … crews applied a bonding agent to help contain the asbestos and make the area safe.

“The garage partially collapsed.

“Crews extinguished the fire by 4.30pm and left the scene just after 5pm.”

No injuries were recorded at the scene.

Neighbour John Orme said he witnessed the initial blast from his backyard which was 50 metres from the property.

“The initial explosion sounded like an LPG gas tank erupting, followed by many more minor ones,” Orme said.

“[It] was an inferno of smoke, fire and continual explosions.

“There was a big cloud of smoke coming from the property for about 45 minutes until crews got the fire under control.”

Investigations into the blaze are continuing.

Maisy Rae