Central Coast Council has gained approval from the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) to commence dredging of The Entrance Channel.
The Entrance MP, David Mehan, said he had been notified that channel dredging can now occur after the NSW EPA approved Central Coast Council’s application to vary the Environment Protection Licence 3200 authorising dredging of the channel.
Following an alleged water pollution incident on November 15, 2018, the EPA issued Council with a Prevention Notice No. 1572222 and as a result, Council halted dredging works being undertaken at the time in The Entrance Channel.
EPA’s investigation into the incident identified that the existing licence was not sufficiently clear on Council’s obligations.
On May 19, 2020, Council applied to vary the Licence and on August 7, the EPA issued a variation of Licence 3200 and revoked Prevention Notice 1572222.
Mehan said he welcomed the development and had sought advice from Council on when dredging might now proceed.
“I understand Council’s concerns that turbidity remains the EPA’s preferred measure of water pollution in relation to the dredging operation,” he said.
“I believe that once dredging commences, The Entrance North beach will be further protected and I will continue to work with all stakeholders involved to ensure this process is streamlined,” Mehan said.
Media release, Aug 10
The Entrance MP, David Mehan