Police assaulted in domestic incident

A man has been charged with multiple offences after allegedly assaulting two police officers during an arrest.

At about 10:25pm on Tuesday, June 16, officers attached to Tuggerah Lakes Police District were called to a home on Buff Point Ave, Buff Point, after reports of a domestic incident.

Upon arrival, police were approached by a 35-year-old man who allegedly became increasingly violent and resisted arrest.

A struggle ensued when the officers attempted to arrest the man; the man allegedly spat in a male officer’s face.

A female officer was then punched in the face several times before being dragged to the ground by her hair.

A clump of hair was ripped from her scalp during the arrest.

The female officer became increasingly distressed when she was grabbed around the neck and choked.

The male officer was then allegedly elbowed in the face and had his genitals twisted by the man before additional police assisted and released him.

The man was taken by ambulance to Wyong Hospital before he was released and taken to Wyong Police Station.

He has since been charged with 13 offences.

He was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday, June 17, where he was formally bail refused to appear at Wyong Local Court on Thursday, June 25.

Both senior constables were taken to John Hunter Hospital for treatment for soft tissue injuries.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, said this was an appalling attack upon first responders.

“This is an inexcusable attack on two officers who were simply responding to a call out to protect members of our community late last night following reports of a domestic incident,” Elliott said.

“Last week, I referred the issue of assaults against police officers to the Law and Safety Parliamentary Committee to seek a better understanding of community attitudes towards police as well as an assessment of whether current penalties and offences are sufficient in light of the disgusting assaults that have been reported recently.

“We want to work out what the motives and attitudes are behind these awful attacks.

Northern Region Commander, Assistant Commissioner Max Mitchell, said there’s never an excuse for assaulting an officer in the line of duty.

“These two officers were attending this location after receiving a call for help – as thousands of officers across NSW do every single day – and this is what greeted them,” AC Mitchell said.

“They were attacked, unprovoked, for simply doing their job.

“I want to reiterate – violence against police officers and emergency services personnel is completely unacceptable, and we will continue to do all we can to prosecute those responsible,” he said.

Source:
Press release, Jun 17
NSW Police Media

Share this story