The good news for Central Coast residents that are taking advantage of social isolation to clean up around their homes, is that the Woy Woy and Buttonderry waste management facilities are once again open to the public.
The Kincumber facility remains closed for the time being for maintenance work.
A Central Coast Council spokesperson said all three facilities were closed to the public in line with NSW Police advice and the NSW Government’s Public Health Order of March 29, although access remained open for waste management vehicles, private waste contractors and small business customers.
“In response to the developing situation with COVID-19, the NSW Government later issued a fact sheet clarifying the management of waste and recycling facilities,” the spokesperson said.
“As a result, the restriction on public access to the Woy Woy and Buttonderry waste management facilities was lifted.
“However, Council provides a comprehensive domestic waste collection service and we encourage all residents to utilise their three bin and bulk collection services and comply with requirements around non-essential travel.
“If customers do need to use our waste management facilities, please use electronic payments where possible to protect the health of the community and staff working at the facilities.
“Customers are also asked to maintain social distancing while onsite, and to stay at home if they are feeling unwell.”
Woy Woy and Buttonderry waste management facilities are open from 7am-4pm weekdays and 8am-4pm weekends and public holidays.
The spokesperson said that there had been a small increase in illegal dumping in recent weeks.
“The usual management processes are being applied.
“These include investigation for potential legal action, an increase in surveillance and clean-up processes.”
Meanwhile, Council reports that more than 50 per cent of its services have continued without interruption during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Of the 962 services Council provides, many others have only experienced partial interruptions, with only 134 services significantly interrupted.
Essential services have been maintained and the following services have been interrupted to varying degrees: provision of lifeguard services; leisure facilities; seniors’ facilities; art gallery; libraries; theatres; public events; Central Coast Stadium; and, holiday parks.
Council is working closely with NSW Police and continues to receive regular updates and participate in regular interagency meetings with NSW Health, which is the lead agency during the pandemic.
Council CEO, Gary Murphy, has advised that closures of some council facilities are likely to stay in place until June 30.
“Our job right now is ensuring that we play our part in managing as best we can the spread of COVID-19,“ Murphy said.
“While the beach lifeguard season has ended and playspaces and skate parks have closed in accordance with State and Federal Government guidelines, our beaches, parks and reserves remain open to residents for the purpose of exercise only.
“I remind everyone to comply with the restrictions which minimise outdoor gatherings to two people unless they are members of the same household.
“Should we be able to open any of our facilities safely, we will do so,” Murphy added.
Media release, Apr 21
Central Coast Council
Media statement, Apr 23
Central Coast Council
Agenda item 4.1
Central Coast Council meeting, Apr 27