Gosford hosts close National Youth League grand final

Braedyn Crowley‘s penalty decided the result in favour of Melbourne City Photo: Melbourne City Supporters Facebook page

Melbourne City FC were crowned the National Youth League 2017 Champions after a thrilling 3 to 2 win over defending champions Sydney FC in the season decider at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday, January 28.
A penalty from Braedyn Crowley, with literally the last kick of the game, decided the result, to give Melbourne City FC their second Foxtel National Youth League title.
In an enthralling end to end encounter, Melbourne City FC dominated the opening 45 minutes, but only had a one goal advantage to show for it at half time, when Crowley timed his run to perfection to latch onto Daniel Arzani’s cross and beat Mitchell Evans in the Sky Blues’ goal in the 22nd minute.
Melbourne City FC would be made to rue their missed opportunities as Sydney FC drew level, when George Timotheou was credited for poking the ball home, although City defender Ruon Tongyik appeared to turn a Cristian Gonzalez free kick into his own net.
The goal seemed to energise the Sky Blues, and when substitute, Charles Lokolingoy, curled a cracking shot into the top corner in the 68th minute, Sydney FC were in front and dreaming of claiming back-to-back Foxtel National Youth League titles.
But the twists and turns continued, as Melbourne City FC won a penalty for a handball with ten minutes to go, Arzani converting from the spot to set up a grandstand finish.
Both sides continued to create and spurn quality chances as cramp started to settle in on a number of players feeling the effects of the warm Gosford afternoon.
Then just as extra time beckoned, Sydney FC substitute Liam McGing was adjudged to have handballed in the penalty area from a corner, and with the resultant spot kick, Crowley made no mistake to etch Melbourne City FC’s name on the trophy.


Media release,
Jan 28, 2017
Nick Kerber, Football
Federation Australia

Similar stories