Union match of the day ends in a draw

The Central Coast Rugby Union match of the day on Saturday, May 30 saw Gosford and Terrigal play out a 10 all draw at Gosford Showground.

Obviously both teams maintain their unbeaten record this season.

Both had periods of ascendancy during the match and thus had their chances of victory.

Terrigal started the match strongly and went close to scoring on a couple of occasions, even being held up close to the line on one occasion.

There was very little between these two teams in the whole match.

It was a real arm wrestle.

Gosford did score the only try of the first half when the Gosford scrum took a tight head and their number eight, Taumei Hikila crashed over with several defenders on him in defence.

The try was converted.

A penalty goal to each team in the first half made the halftime score 10-3 in Gosford’s favour.

This scoreline was probably a good indication of the flow of the first half, but both teams knew at the break that they had their chances of victory.

The second half continued in much the same form as the first.

Gosford and Terrigal had periods of attack, however on most occasions, there was no score added as a result.

Both teams were defending very well.

Terrigal squared the match up when they were awarded a penalty try as a result of a Gosford infringement at the lineout.

With the score locked at 10 all, the match was up for grabs with time running out.

Gosford had several very good players on the day.

None were better than their flanker, Hugo Pike who was like a terrier all day.

He was well supported by halfback Joel Wagner and number eight, Taumei Hikila, who was rewarded with an excellent individual try.

Terrigal had several great performers for their team.

Halfback Doug Angus was involved in everything and gave it his all, while fullback Adam Danckert was always a danger.

Lock Phil Heard was right in the centre of the action throughout the match.

In a high-scoring match at Mark Taylor Oval, Kariong hung on to defeat Hornsby by 39 points to 34.

This was a great exhibition of running rugby with both teams crossing for six tries apiece.

There was nothing in the whole match.

Kariong only led by 19 points to 17 at the halftime break and the scores remained close for the remainder of the match.

Kariong did get away on the scoreboard early in the second half but then Hornsby rallied and came right back into the match with some very good tries in the middle parts of the second half.

Scott Hanley was able to land four goals during the match and that proved the only difference on the scoreboard in the match.

Best players for Kariong were prop Cory Holwill, who scored two tries, hooker Sam Selila and back Scott Hanley. Fullback Mitch Clay also played well and also crossed for two individual tries.

The win sees Kariong continue their very good run of results this year.

Email, 31 May 2015

Larry Thomson,

Central Coast Rugby Union