Wins for Terrigal, Avoca, Gosford and Kariong rugby sides

In a physical encounter at Heazlett Park, Avoca Beach and Ourimbah put on a top class game of rugby on Saturday, May 16.

Avoca Beach got off to another great start and hung on to win 24 to 18.

After just 30 minutes of play, Avoca found themselves ahead 15 to 0 with three good tries through the hands of their backline.

The Sharks put on an impressive, hard and fast start to the match and this would prove enough to hold Ourimbah out.

A penalty goal on halftime sent Avoca to the break up 18 to 0 and full of confidence.

Ourimbah had other ideas and swung the momentum of the game in their direction early in the second half.

A penalty goal, and then a try to Brett Marchant in his return to the top grade, made the score 18 to 10.

The game then went to and fro for some time as each team tried to get on top.

A penalty goal apiece took the score to 21 to 13. Ourimbah were then able to get a lot more ball in hand, and dominated the play closing the gap with a try to reserve Isaac Harding- Davis, to make the score 21 to 18.

The Razorbacks thought they were on the verge of a great comeback, but they made a few crucial errors and the game swayed back into Avoca’s favour.

A penalty goal close to full-time sealed the Avoca win, 24 to 18.

Avoca’s flanker, Emile Thomas, had another strong game, really putting his mark on every play he was a part of.

He was well supported by his second rower, Elliott Dawkins, while the Avoca half-back Sam Fortey organised his side well.

Their winger, Daniel Aguirre-Acevedo made some crucial metres for his side.

The win moves Avoca Beach up the ladder while it gives Ourimbah three losses in a row which is certainly not how they wanted to start 2015’s season.

Terrigal remain undefeated with a win over The Entrance, at The Haven. The final scoreline was 78 points to three.

The Trojans ran in 12 tries in a dominant display over the Rams who gave it their all, but never threatened the home side.

Terrigal had two very consistent halves, leading 38 to three at the break and continuing their impressive play right until full-time.

Best for the home side were Alec Herridge at five eight, flanker Sam Kenny and winger Tim Walton.

Gosford played some consistent rugby to defeat Hornsby at Gosford Showground by 41 points to 17.

In a free-flowing game of rugby, the Red Devils ran in six tries to win their first home game of 2015.

It was a tight start with Gosford gaining the lead with an early try to number eight, Taumei Hikila after a barnstorming run up the field.

Hornsby hit back quickly through some great backline play.

A clever kick over the top by five-eight Josh Reid put Gosford’s Tim Hill in for their second try, but again Hornsby retaliated with another impressive try from a penalty tap deep within their own half.

After 20 minutes of fast rugby, Hornsby led 12-10.

Gosford dominated the set piece throughout the match, winning many tight heads in the scrum and stealing many lineouts.

Through these victories on the field, the Gosford side were able to build pressure on the Hornsby pack and though they kept making breaks, errors were sneaking into the Hornsby play which kept the score the same for a long period of time.

Two lineout steals by Gosford lock, Luke Hennig gave his side the field position they wanted and led to prop, Simote Lauti crashing over just before half-time.

This took Gosford into the break leading 17 to 10.

The open style of the match meant both sides believed either could claim a win.

Gosford’s forwards were certainly messing up the Hornsby ball and providing their own backs with the opportunities to score points.

It was Gosford who took charge in the second half, scoring 24 unanswered points to claim a comfortable win in the end.

Gosford worked very hard not to let Hornsby get any space or give their electrifying backline any opportunity to run the ball. It was this great effort along with their dominance in the set piece that gave Gosford their fourth win of 2015.

Number eight, Taumei Hikila, was very impressive in his first top grade match for the Red Devils, as was lock, Mitch Cornwell, both of whom made metres aplenty every time they ran the ball.

Kariong caused an upset defeating Warnervale 31 to 13 at Woongarrah Oval.

The win to Kariong wasn’t a complete shock but for them to win by 18 points was a surprise for local rugby fans.

Kariong’s fullback, Mitch Clay, was almost unstoppable in his side’s victory, scoring a try of his own while having a hand in all four others.

His display of skills was impressive and he certainly lifted his side to their second win of the season.

It’s a real turnaround from 2014 for the Wanderers who are proving to be a thorn in the side of everyone they’ve played so far.

Email, 16 May 2015
Larry Thomson, Central
Coast Rugby Union